4-5 February, 2005

Date 4-5 February, 2005
Asia-Pacific Forum 2005Asia-Pacific Forum 2005
Venue 4 February, 2005
The Peninsula, Manila(@Rigodon Ball Room)
Corner of Ayala and Makati Avenues, 1226 Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines
TEL: +63 2-887-2888
FAX: +63 2-815-4825
www.peninsula.com
5 February, 2005
AIM Conference Center(@Function Rooms 1-4)
4th Floor, AIM Conference Center, Benavidez corner Trasierra Sts.,
Legaspi Village, 1260 Makati City, Philippines
TELEFAX: +63 2-751-9182/3
www.policy.aim.edu.ph
Co-hosted Japan Economic Foundation(JEF)
Address:JIJI Press Bldg.,
11F 1-15-8 Ginza, Chuo-ku
Tokyo 104-0061 Japan
TEL: +81 3-5565-4824
FAX: +81 3-5565-4828
www.jef.or.jp
Asian Institute of Management (AIM) Policy Center
Address: 4F, AIM Conference Center, Benavidez corner Trasierra Sts.,
Legaspi Village, 1260 Makati City, Philippines
TELEFAX: +63 2-751-9182/3
www.policy.aim.edu.ph

ProgramSession 1: The Recent Development of FTAs within East AsiaPart I: Bilateral FTAs (eg. Japan-Korea /Malaysia/Philippines/Thai/Indonesia, Korea-Singapore etc.)

Session 2: The Recent Development of FTAs within East AsiaPart II: Regional FTAs (e.g. ASEAN-Japan/China/Korea, AFTA)

Session 3: Report Presentation Research Study on Integrated Road Map to East Asia FTA conducted by SIIA

Session 4: A Road Map to EAFTA-Why do we need EAFTA? What is the mission of EAFTA?
-The significance of EAFTA and its implications.
-How do we develop the regional and bilateral FTAs into EAFTA?
-How shall we overcome some difficulties of EAFTA?

ParticipantsList

Chairman's SpeechOpening Remarks by Mr. Hatakeyama (4 Feb. 2005 @ International Symposium)

H.E. Mr. Fidel V. Ramos, Chairman of Ramos Peace and Development Foundation, Inc. Dr. Federico Macaranas, Executive Director, The AIM Policy Center, Asian Institute of Management, Distinguished guests and ladies and gentlemen.

On behalf of Japan Economic Foundation, it is my great honor and privilege to welcome all of you to the International Symposium "An Integrated Road-Map to East Asia Free Trade Agreement", which we are co-hosting with Asian Institute of Management.
This symposium is organized under the auspices of Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan and Japan External Trade organization (JETRO) on Japanese side.

In March 2003, almost two years ago, JEF and SIIA (Singapore Institute of International Affairs) co-organized the International Symposium entitled "FTA: JSEPA and Beyond" in Singapore. JSEPA stands for Japan-Singapore Economic Partnership Agreement, which is the first free trade agreement Japan has ever had.

Following the symposium in Singapore, in January last year, we co-organized the symposium with Thammasat University in Bangkok, entitled "The future prospects of EAFTA".
Now, this year, we have chosen Manila as the venue for the symposium, mainly because as a matter of fact, just on this very day, February 4th, 2004(last year), the governments of two countries, Japan and Philippines, entered into negotiation for Japan-Philippines Economic Partnership Agreement(JPEPA).
Since then, a series of meetings were held and through these meetings active and substantial negotiations were conducted.
Finally, on 29th November 2004(last year), Prime Minister Koizumi and President Arroyo have confirmed that both sides reached agreements in principle on major elements of the Agreement.

Through the last two symposiums in Singapore and Bangkok, we have closely examined the existing FTAs such as JSEPA, and the advantages that they can and in some cases, are already offering new opportunities for businesses. We also discussed some of broader aspects of FTA movement in Asia including Asean-Japan, Asean-China, Asean-Korea FTAs and possible East Asia FTA. I am very pleased that Asean-China FTA on the trade in goods has been signed in November last year and the two sides are currently negotiating a similar agreement on the trade in services and investment.
Through these discussions, I have come to strongly believe that what is most important in this area is to launch as soon as possible a study and then negotiations on EAFTA (East Asian Free Trade Agreement), including 15 economies in this area, namely ASEAN plus three, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

This symposium aims at discussing a possible road-map to East Asia Free Trade Agreement and other important FTA elements in this region.

On this note, I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt gratitude to Dr. Federico Macaranas, Executive Director of The AIM policy Center, Asian Institute of Management, all the distinguished speakers and the panelists from nine countries and you, the participants for making this symposium possible. In particular, I would like to record my gratitude to His Excellency Mr. Fidel V. Ramos, Former President of Philippines to deliver the Keynote Speech after this session.

I would also like to thank all staff of The Asian Institute of Management, which has greatly contributed to realizing this symposium.
I wish all of you an interesting and fruitful discussion.
Thank you very much.

2016. NOVEMBER 2015. NOVEMBER 2014. NOVEMBER 2013. NOVEMBER 2013. FEBRUARY 2011. OCTOBER 2010. OCTOBER 2009. SEPTEMBER 2008. OCTOBER 2007. NOVEMBER 2006. NOVEMBER 2005. OCTOBER 2005. FEBRUARY 2004. JANUARY 2003. MARCH